Build Identifier: Eclipse:M20110909-1335 SpringSource STS 2.8.0 Build
We have a multi-module project with a single war file that is built up with
modules in the children project. We are deploying the war file to a vFabric
Tomcat server from within the eclipse IDE. Workspace dependency resolution is
enabled, and the war file appears with all the dependent modules in the server
However, if the version for the dependent modules are not explicitly specified
in the war's pom.xml file, the dependent modules are not included on the server
view and the server complains of missing classes when starting up: the
The reason for wanting to leave out the version tag in the child pom is that we
want the versioning to be defined in the dependencyManagement section of the
The system should resolve the dependent modules even if its left out of the
child poms and defined in the parents pom.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Have a multi-module web application
2. Add the version of the child modules.
3. Deploy the application to the tomcat server, application will work, and show
all the dependent modules.
4. Define the modules in the dependency management section of the parent pom.
5. Remove the versions from the servlets poms, since they defined in the
6. Deploy the application from within the IDE.
7. The modules will not appear, and the applications will fail.